Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Next Year of My Life...

In less than five weeks time I will be packing up the contents of my existence, getting on a plane to fly 2,170 miles to an obscure town in an obscure state, and spending the next eight months of my life at one of the most awesome places in the world. Brigham Young University. Best known by association with the name Jimmer Freddete and the Mormon Church. Also known as the #1 Stone-cold Sober school for 12 years running and won't be changing anytime soon. I don't quite know how, but I've known since I was 5 years old that this was the one and only college I wanted to go to. I can't really explain it. Neither of my parents went there and they never spoke of it. In fact my dad went to the University of Utah, BYU's arch-rival, so he of course never suggested BYU to me. But somehow I've just known, and I never really questioned it. And I could not be more satisfied with my decision.

My days there will be a constant whirl of everything I can possibly pack into every 24 hours. Classes, studying, piano, singing, parties, studying, concerts, cooking, studying, piano, dates, laundry...Did I mention studying? Oh, and sleep if I have time to spare. I also have one of the coolest roommates ever, Jimmy Davidson! He's basically a crazy awesome guy, way funny, super spiritual, and an incredibly talented musician!

Needless to say, this is going to be a pretty fantastic year!

It can be difficult for some people to understand why anyone would want to go to a school where you are prohibited from drinking, smoking, having sex, and many other things that constitute the stereotypical "college fun." My heart goes out to those who think that's what fun really is. Pleasure is not how we Mormon's do fun. We do fun that we will still remember the next morning, and won't have to carry any regrets or maladies away from it. Don't know what I mean? Ask your friendly neighborhood Mormon! :)

33 days.
2,170 miles.
34,000 Mormons (a majority of which are female)
One pretty awesome time!

Am I psyched? Umm. YES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment